Agency
Agency Information An organisation creating and maintaining records. Agencies can be related to each other and to series

Home for Incurables, later Julia Farr Centre Inc (GA2742)

Calendar Date Range: 1878 - 1984

On this page

About this agency

Description

The Home for Incurables was founded on 23 September 1878 after a group of Adelaide men and women determined that a home was required for people suffering from incurable diseases and injuries. The first to suggest that such a home be established was Mrs. Julia Farr who was supported by former Colonial Surgeon Dr. William Gosse who went on to become the first Chairman of the Home. Prior to the establishment of the Home, people of all ages with incurable diseases who had been discharged from Adelaide Hospital or the Adelaide Children's Hospital would often lack the care that they required and would regularly find themselves admitted to the Destitute Asylum.

A provisional committee of 28 persons was formed with Dr. Gosse as Chairman and they set about raising funds for the home and then calling a meeting of subscribers. The first meeting was held on 30 January 1879. The Committee purchased a nine acre block of land at Fullarton for 1,700 pounds which included an eight room house which was subsequently enlarged for a further cost of 310 pounds.

The first patients were admitted on 17 October 1879. The only qualification required for admission in the early stages of the Home was that the patient suffered from some form of incurable disease or injury that was neither contagious nor infectious, and that they were mentally sound. The first Matron of the Home was Miss A. Eppelein.

In June 1881 the Home was visited by Prince Albert and his brother Prince George, future King George V, when the two were touring Australia.

Patient numbers at the Home grew quickly and it became clear that the original facilities were not sufficient. In 1880 a new building was commenced, in Victorian Gothic style, and it opened in February 1881. The new building provided accommodation for 30 patients as well as two rooms for the Matron, two for nurses and a board room.

In 1883 a new Gosse Memorial Wing was planned after the death of the first Chairman, Dr. Gosse. This new wing opened in October 1884 at a cost of 2,461 pounds and provided an additional forty beds. By 1885 the Home had grown significantly since 1879 and now had 62 patients and a staff of 12. After Dr. Gosse's death, Dr. R.T. Wylde was unanimously elected Chairman.

The finances of the Home and its ability to continue developing was often bolstered by large donations from some of South Australia's most public figures such as Mr. and Mrs. R. Barr Smith and Mr. J.H. Angas, the second son of George Fife Angus as well as frequent government subsidies which the Home received. In 1915, then Chairman Mr. G.F. Claridge, referred to two gentlemen who had left their whole estates to the Home - a combined amount of 26,000 pounds. Both of these men had been patients at the Home.

As the Home celebrated 50 years in 1928-1929, patients numbers had grown to 142 (61 men and 81 women) and the Home had also been registered as a part-time training school for nurses. Through the Great Depression and the Second World War the Home sustained itself remarkably well despite the drop off in subscribers and the difficulties in finding suitable staff. In 1941 the Home had to cease admitting new patients due to staff shortages although the Home had multiple free beds and a waiting list of 58 people.

By the 1960s, patient numbers had grown once more to 400 and it was determined in 1970 that a new building development was required which would increase accommodation to more than 800 patients. The State Government approved development to the Home at a cost of $11 million. The new South Block was completed in July 1973 and the next stage of expansion was to include an eleven storey East Block suitable for more than 400 patients. After initial delays to the project it was finally completed and opened in 1977 just before the Home celebrated its centenary. In 1978 the Home could house a total of 826 patients.

In 1981, in honour of the Home's founder, the Home for Incurables was renamed The Julia Farr Centre. It continued to provide the same support and care for those with chronic physical ailments.

In 1984 the West Wing, originally built in 1967, was vacated after renovations to the building revealed large quantities of asbestos. The building remained unused and derelict for many years before eventually being sold to developers and demolished in 2011.

On 28 June 1984 the private entity Julia Farr Centre Inc was dissolved by proclamation and the Julia Farr Centre was established as an incorporated health centre under section 48 (1) of the South Australian Health Commission Act 1976 (South Australian Governmnet Gazette 28/06/1984 p.1895). By virtue of subsection 48 (3) of the records of the former private entity were transferred and vested in Julia Farr Centre, thereby becoming official records under the State Records Act 1997.




Sources

Colin Kerr (1979) The Home for Incurables: the first 100 years, Lutheran Publishing House: Adelaide
Bruce Hopgood (2017) Home for Incurables Incorporated 1878 - 1981, Government of South Australia
, accessed 16/05/2018
, accessed 16/05/2018
, accessed 16/05/2018
, accessed 16/05/2018

Creation

There is no data to display

Abolition

There is no data to display

Legislation

There is no data to display